This weekend I treated myself to a Sephora custom one-on-one makeover. I’ve done the 45-minute custom makeover before but I knew I wanted to spend some money and the personal one-on-one makeover was free with a $125 purchase. Plus it was advertised as a 90-minute “customized skin care, fragrance, and beauty makeover.” I need more like 90 days, but I was happy to get makeover for any amount of time.
I was seated quickly and met my Senior Beauty Expert, Marvin. He had emailed me a few days before and asked me if I wanted to focus on anything. My main goals for the appointment were to look amazing and not wear so much makeup I look like a cadaver. Easy enough!
We started with skin prep and I tried a lot of products that I wouldn’t venture to apply.
I definitely need the skincare stuff, especially since I need whatever it takes to treat my skin gently and not scrub it for dear life because Catholicism has taught me that I should feel pain first. I do love a good scrub, though.
- First Aid Beauty – Facial Radiance Pads
- Kate Somerville – DermalQuench Liquid Lift™ Advanced Wrinkle Treatment
- Kate Somerville – Wrinkle Warrior™ 2-in-1 Plumping Moisturizer + Serum
- Peter Thomas Roth – Cucumber De-Tox™ Hydra-Gel Eye Patches
- Fresh – Rose Face Mask
There were a few women who came up and asked what was going on and examined me like I was an exhibit at an art museum. Behold, Desperate Mo, 2017. And they were not ashamed at all, to set near the space and ask about it all. I would never go up to someone with a face that looks like this and say, what is that? I would stare from afar and maybe ask myself, Look at that woman with all that gunk on her face! How can I have that much confidence?!
The fun part was definitely the makeup. I snapped this to my niece and she asked if that was really a sketch of my face. I said yes, I committed a crime. My beauty advisor went through all the different steps and added product names, where they would be placed on my face and what brushes would be used.
This is what it took to make my face. Plus there was some embalming fluid and the tool ancient Egyptians used to remove the brains from mummies. Anything for beauty!
After an hour and a half of transforming my face, my husband and kids arrived and walked up to where I was seated. My husband thought I looked amazing while my kids were more interested in making weird faces in the mirror.
I didn’t buy everything because my kids still need to eat and it’s nice to pay the mortgage, but I did leave with most of the makeup. Here’s what I bought:
- IT Cosmetics – Bye Bye Under Eye Illumination™ Full Coverage Anti-Aging Waterproof Concealer
- IT Cosmetics – Your Skin But Better™ CC+™ Cream with SPF 50+
- Laura Mercier – Candleglow Sheer Perfecting Powder
- SEPHORA COLLECTION – Cream Lip Stain in Marvelous Mauve
- KORRES – Greek Yoghurt Smoothie Priming Moisturiser
- Too Faced – Soleil Matte Bronzer
- Hourglass Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil
Everything is amazing. I was super surprised by how well IT Cosmetics felt on my skin. In the past few days, I’ve loved how smooth and clear my orange peel skin has looked. Plus with the primer, it’s held up and by the end of the day, I still look like I have some semblance of makeup and not look like I wore too many layers and sweat all of it off by 3 PM.
I bought a lot of brushes too! I’ve been on the hunt for decent brushes and I would have gone a cheap route but what’s the point of having amazing makeup and using a worn down pencil eraser to slap it on.
- SEPHORA COLLECTION – PRO Airbrush #55
- SEPHORA COLLECTION – PRO Blending Brush #27
- SEPHORA COLLECTION – PRO Smudge Brush #11
- SEPHORA COLLECTION – PRO Shadow Brush #14
- SEPHORA COLLECTION – PRO Precision Powder Brush #59
- SEPHORA COLLECTION – PRO Foundation #47
I’ll have to go back again and again to gather more products and keep a good thing going. I’m so glad I cobbled together Sephora gift cards and burrito punchcard with two more punches until a free burrito and bought myself some great makeup. Now I need to save up to get a makeup artist every day because Snapchat only gets me so far.